Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday


'Camp Shore' pastel, 23 x 10.5 © Mary J. McHugh 2008

Shown above is "Camp Shore, one of the paintings I delivered this afternoon to my favorite gallery in Cable: Firefly ! Stop by and see them sometime after L.J. opens up for new season this Friday.

It was another gorgeous morning and I worked on another painting for an hour. Yes!
This one was started last summer but hadn't finished it since I couldn’t decide what kind of light to use. So today I made the decision to make it take place at dusk. Featured in it are my sister in law’s kayaks on the shores of Lake Superior at the beach in Ashland, WI, during summer vacation visit with my in laws. Jenna and her cousin Gina are out in the kayaks. It is a prequel to a previous painting called "Bliss". I think it’ll be titled “Time to Come In”. It is almost finished and will post it soon.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful, Mary. Thanks for inviting me.

Unknown said...

I have the picture Bliss I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Jamila said...

Wow, Mary...this painting is so gorgeous! It really captures those sweet little cabins that line the lakes up north. Thank you for sharing! Just beautiful...

Mary McHugh said...

Thanks Denise, Elizabeth, and Jamila. I am glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mary-
We just bought Camp Shore from Firefly this afternoon. It reminds us so much of the waterfront at Camp Manito-Wish in Boulder Junction. We were wondering where the picture was taken and why you chose to create the picture.

We love it!

Mary McHugh said...

I am so glad to hear that you loved the painting and purchased it from Firefly. It IS the camp shore of Camp Manitowish where our nephew has gone to camp several times. My sister in law took the photo and I just really liked it. I altered it a bit, and used the orange from the pile of canoes without using the canoes. Hope to meet you this weekend at Firefly!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mary -
You made our day! My daughter, Megan, actually saw the painting first and noticed the Manito-wish waterfront -- she was so thrilled. I actually took her to camp today -- she has been going there for 6 years and this year will spend 14 days kayaking on Lake Huron. She made me promise to write her if you confirmed that it is a painting of our beloved camp (I went there as a child, too).

I guess this just goes to show you that you can't possibly know the impact you have on others in your life but we are sure glad that you had the inspiration to paint our beloved camp waterfront that has meant so much to us over the past 34 years!!

Mary McHugh said...

HI Anonymous! I will have to learn your names when I meet you. Thanks so much for the nice comments. I am so glad this painting has brought joy to you all. Camp Manitowish seems like a really special place. I hope Megan has a fantastic time on Lake Huron. Hope to meet you soon. I'll be at Firefly tomorrow from 10 to 3.